Heavy Equipment Operator II
Water Management - Water & Sewer Maintenance Division
Hiring range: $40,513– 48,615
We are pleased to advertise for 2 Heavy Equipment Operator II positions within Water & Sewer Maintenance. These crews maintain the access to outfalls required by the City’s Collection Permit from the State. Crews respond to sanitary sewer overflows (SSO) and together with sewer rehabilitation, clear and reduce blockages. Will also track and stop inflows of storm water.
In accordance with DOT, you may also operate vehicles that haul heavy loads and/or tow equipment with or without a trailer; bulldozers, backhoe, tractor-type construction equipment and attachments, and other types of motorized hand tools such as brush cutter, trimmers, edger, weed eater, & chain saw. You must be able to operate tractor/mowers on various types of terrain and be able to grade the easements using excavator, bulldozer, and skid-steer with 4-IN-1 bucket. This job is required to work weekend rotation for stand-by/recall, overtime, and/or call back for emergencies and during all types of weather conditions.
A practical operating exercise will be conducted for all finalists.
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Min 3 years of expr operating heavy motorized equipment and landscape motorized hand tools
- Willing & able to work in close proximity to high voltage wires & other utility lines
- Ability to lift 70 pounds, work in tight places, and climb on equipment higher than 4 feet
- OSHA Competent Person for confined space entry within 1 year of hire
- Trenching/shoring within 1 year
- Grade C Water Distribution within 2 years
- Grade II Wastewater Collections within 2 years
Enjoy our benefits that include 401(k), 457, retirement, flex spending accounts, medical, life, dental, vision, generous annual/holiday leave with options to purchase other benefits such as auto or legal coverage.
Apply online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/durhamnc
Jobs are open until filled.
EOE - Individuals selected for offer of employment must pass the City of Durham physical examination, drug/alcohol screen, and background investigation. Prior to an interview, a driver’s license history check may be conducted. You must have the legal right to work in the U.S. The company will not sponsor any applicant to obtain documentation of that right to work.
- 11-12 paid holidays per year
- 12 standard work days of vacation per year
- 12 standard work days of sick leave per year, which accumulates indefinitely; sick leave may be used toward early retirement
- Two weeks paid military leave per year
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and supplemental life insurance plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health and Dependent Care)
- State and City retirement plans
- Short and long term disability plans
- Paid temporary disability leave for specified conditions
- 401(k) retirement plan (5% of annual salary contributed by the City, and immediately vested)
- Paid funeral leave
- Employee Assistance Program - personal and family counseling
- Paid life insurance equal to annual salary
- 48 hours for volunteer work each year
- 4 hours parental leave each year
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plans
- North Carolina 529 College Savings Plan
- Transit Benefits
- GuidanceResources Concierge Service